POS 2041 ASSESSMENT # 1
Dr. Michael J. Lenaghan, Faculty
INSTRUCTIONS: In 10,000 words, or less, using YOUR OWN words (not directly from the text, peer or other source), sentences, paragraphs and graphics, respond thoughtfully, clearly and concisely to the questions below in ESSAY FORM. Answer at least 3 of the 7 questions for a maximum of 100 points. More points if you answer 3+ questions.
DUE January 22, 2021 at midnight.
1. Why is the United States of America described as a “democratic, federal, republic” Exactly what does that mean to you as a citizen, resident or visitor of the USA? What is the significance of Mathew’s observation that government should be “WITH THE PEOPLE”?
2. What was traditional and what was distinct about the 2021 Presidential Inauguration? How did the Pandemic or FACTS OVER FICTION contribute?
3. In The ECOLOGY OF DEMOCRACY, David Mathews asserts that he is in pursuit of “Finding Ways to Have a Stronger Hand in Shaping Our Future.” What does Mathews mean by this statement? Do you believe it is a good idea for you to have a stronger hand in shaping your own future in the United States of America?
4. What are the implications of having self-rule in a citizen-centered democracy when well-funded, well organized and narrowly defined internal and foreign special interest groups advance priorities and goals that may not include citizen interests?
5. What priorities, issues, programs or services would you advocate, organize for, create public discussions about and lobby for in your community if you choose to know and negotiate the “local, state and federal ecology and its global context” of our democracy? How would you implement your intentions from “ground up”?
6. How does the principle of popular sovereignty undergird Dr. Mathews premise of citizenship and civic engagement in his book?
7. Write a letter to Dr. David Mathews analyzing, criticizing and creatively reflecting upon what you believe to be his purpose in writing the book.
DUE: January 22, 2021 Midnight
2021 c Michael J. Lenaghan