Think about disasters your community has or could potentially face. Now, think about how your community is helping its members prepare.
1. Explore your community and find an advertisement that represents helping community members be prepared for a disaster.
o Examples could be a billboard, poster at a bus stop, marquee sign, flyer, yard sign and more. Example: Sign advertising ‘free’ flu vaccinations at a local pharmacy.
2. Describe the message the advertisement is conveying.
o Describe how the message impact preparedness.
3. If you cannot find any advertisement in your community, describe a type of advertisement for disaster preparedness you think would be most beneficial to your community and how it would be best conveyed. 1. Look around your neighborhood and find a sign that says something about helping people get ready for a disaster.
o A billboard, a poster at a bus stop, a marquee sign, a flyer, a yard sign, and other things could be used as examples. Example: A sign at a local pharmacy says that flu shots are “free.”
2. Explain the message the ad is trying to send.
o Explain how the message affects being ready.
3. If you can’t find any disaster preparedness ads in your community, describe the kind of ad you think would be most helpful to your community and how it would best get the message across.
4. Next, identify one community setting that is impacted by the disaster advertisement you shared
5. Analyze at least one nursing role (refer to Week 6 lesson) related to disaster preparedness in that setting. Example: In the school setting, what actions and interventions would be involved with the nurse as coordinator of disaster preparedness?
Roles of the Community Health Nurse
Some of the roles of the community health nurse needs to take in order to effectively promote health include:
• Case Manager
• Change Agent
• Case finder
6. Identify at least one key stakeholder related to the setting that a CHN could collaborate with regarding disaster preparedness. Include why this collaboration is important.
Your discussion post should look like:
• Uploaded picture
• Paragraph one: Describe the message the advertisement is conveying and how the message impact preparedness.
• Paragraph two: Identify one community setting that is impacted by the disaster advertisement you shared. Analyze at least one nursing role related to disaster preparedness in that setting.
• Paragraph three: Identify at least one key stakeholder related to the setting that a CHN could collaborate with regarding disaster preparedness. Include why this collaboration is important.
• Resources: Where did you find your data?