Practical ways of preventing and dealing with stomach ulcers
Stomach ulcers are open sores that develop in the lining of the stomach or the duodenum, the first part of the small intestine. They are caused by either an infection with a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) or the overuse of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, naproxen and aspirin. Stomach ulcers can cause symptoms such as burning pain, nausea, vomiting, weight loss and bleeding. If left untreated, they can lead to serious complications such as perforation, infection and obstruction.
To prevent and deal with stomach ulcers, it is important to identify and eliminate the underlying cause. This may involve taking antibiotics to eradicate H. pylori infection or reducing or stopping the use of NSAIDs. In addition, medications that reduce stomach acid production, such as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) or histamine-2 blockers (H2 blockers), can help heal the ulcers and prevent them from recurring. Antacids can also provide temporary relief from pain and indigestion.
Besides medication, lifestyle changes can also help prevent and manage stomach ulcers. These include:
– Eating a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables and vitamin C, which can help protect and repair the stomach lining.
– Avoiding foods that irritate the stomach, such as spicy, acidic, fatty or fried foods, alcohol, caffeine and chocolate.
– Eating smaller and more frequent meals, rather than large and heavy ones, to avoid overloading the stomach.
– Quitting smoking, as smoking can increase stomach acid production and impair healing.
– Managing stress, as stress can worsen ulcer symptoms and trigger acid secretion.
– Seeking medical attention if symptoms persist or worsen, or if signs of complications occur, such as bloody or black stools, bloody vomit, severe pain or difficulty breathing.
Stomach ulcers are common but treatable conditions that can affect anyone. By following these practical tips, you can prevent and deal with them effectively and improve your quality of life.
– Stomach ulcers: Symptoms, treatment, causes – Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/312045
– Stomach (Peptic) Ulcer: Signs, Symptoms, Causes & Treatment. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22314-stomach-peptic-ulcer
– What is Peptic ulcer and its possible symptoms, causes, risk and prevention methods? https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/condition/Peptic-ulcer/hp-Peptic-ulcer?source=conditioncdx
– Stomach ulcers | healthdirect. https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/stomach-ulcers