COIT 20253 Business Intelligence using Big Data
Assessment item 1—Assignment 1 Specifications
Due date: Friday (25 August 17) 05:00 PM AEST ASSESSMENT
All students are to submit electronically – max file size is 2Mb.
Length: Refer to individual section requirements 1
This assessment item relates to course learning outcomes numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 as stated on the course profile.
Assessment 1 is an individual assessment. In assessment 1, you are assigned tasks which assess your course knowledge gained between weeks 1 and 5 about different facets of Big Data solutions. All students will have to write a report showing the answers to the tasks 1-3 below.
Please note that ALL submitted A2-reports are passed through a computerized copy detection system and it is extremely easy for teaching staff to identify copied or otherwise plagiarised work.
• Copying (plagiarism) can incur penalties ranging from deduction of marks to failing the course or even exclusion from the University.
• Please ensure you are familiar with the Academic Misconduct Procedures, available from: http://policy.cqu.edu.au/Policy/policy_file.do?policyid=1244
The assignment will be marked out of a total of 100 marks and forms 35% of the total assessment for the course. ALL assignments will be checked for plagiarism by Turnitin.
The ability of Business Intelligence (BI) technologies to provide historical, current, and predictive views of business operations based on the collection, extraction, and analysis of business data to improve decision has been the basis of several studies. More recently, “Big Data” and “Big Data Analytics” have further stirred the interest of researchers and practitioners alike. You have been requested to prepare a report focusing on one of the following topics:
1. Big Data for Supply Chain and Operations Management
2. Sports Analytics
3. Agricultural Analytics
4. Fraud Detection in Banking Sector
5. Big Data for Sentiment Analysis
The report should be well researched and written in accordance with Harvard referencing style.
Your target audience is executive business people, who have extensive business experience but limited ICT knowledge. They would like to be informed as to how new Big Data technologies may be beneficial to their business. Please note that standard report structure, including an executive summary, must be adhered to.
The main body of the report should include the following topics.
Executive Summary: You are required to provide brief but comprehensive synopsis of your proposal, which highlights its key points.
Introduction: You are required to introduce the topic of the report in an extremely engaging manner which arouses the reader’s interest. You are required to give a detailed general background that indicates the overall “plan” of the report.
Discussion of topics: You are required to discuss the following topics in depth. Your discussion should display deep analysis of issues with no irrelevant info.
Task 1. Data Collection and Storage
• Data collection system (what kind of data should be collected and how)
• Storage system (what are the requirements to the storage and how to achieve them)
Task 2. Data in Action
• Consumer-centric product design (what is it and how to do it)
• Recommendation system (what is it and how to do it)
Task 3. Business continuity
• How online business can survive in case of power outage or other disasters?
Conclusion and Recommendations: You are required to provide a well written summary of the main points and excellent final comment on the subject, Provide recommendations based on the information provided.
The length of the assignment is 3000 words. You are required to do extensive reading of more than 10 appropriate and relevant chosen topics in Big Data application Please do in-text referencing of all chosen readings. Newspaper and magazine reports should be limited to a maximum of 2. A comprehensive report covering all key aspects of the topic selected is required. Report should be extremely well supported with relevant case studies. Any assumptions made are clearly noted. DO NOT use Wikipedia as a reference. The use of unqualified references will result in the deduction of marks.
The report structure should be clear, easy to read and logical, directly addressing the question. Suitable headers should be used throughout the report. Good use of graphics and charts should be made.
No spelling, punctuation or grammatical errors.
Submission of Assessments
Reports are to be written in size 12 Arial Font and double spaced. The assignment is to be submitted as one word file (.doc) using the electronic assignment submission system that can be accessed from the link on the course website. Do not submit pdf or any other format.
Assessment Marking Criteria: Weighted out of 35%
1. Report formatting (font, header and footer, table of content, numbering, referencing) 5 Marks
2. Professional communication (correct spelling, grammar, formal business language used) 5 Marks
3. Executive summary 10 Marks
4. Report introduction 10 Marks
5. Data Collection and Storage 20 Marks
6. Data in Action 30 Marks
7. Business continuity 10 Marks
8. Conclusion and Recommendations 10 Marks
Total = 100.00
COIT 20253 Business Intelligence using Big Data